Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Leaf Guy.


Maple leaf, stem, twigs, grass clippings.

My two brothers and I used to make these in our back yard, some time back in grade school. I took it upon myself to teach my sons how to make them this past weekend, with varying levels of success.

After making enough of them as youths, my fraternal collaborators and I developed something of a science to the whole process; the optimum leaf size, twig proportions, even the freshness of the grass clippings we stuffed them with.

There were even a few we equipped with various weedy entrails and dandelion hearts. Then, perhaps just being boys, we did awful, torturous things to them.

8 comments:

Breadwig said...

Wow. These are just begging to be made into a full picture book.

Andy J Smith illustration said...

Beats torturing frogs! These are neat--I could see them on the pages of backyard/woods picture book!

Phyllis Harris said...

I love these little guys! How creative!

Isn't it amazing what kids could do with their time and imagination in days past...before computers and cell phones...

Ambera said...

Ah hahaha!! These are hilarious! I laughed out loud.

Anonymous said...

These are totally cool. I especially like the one-legged one!

Adam said...

Thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, and thanks! I'm still a little amazed we figured out how to make them.

And the one legged one was my eldest son's. That's mah boy!

Donna Farrell said...

These are fabulous.
I think we need a step by step DYI version posted. I know my kids would have a ball with these.

Sharon Vargo said...

Now that's a green toy ... very cool Adam!